DOCTRINE of FAITH
It is impossible to not have faith.
Even choosing to be an agnostic, one needs faith to believe in agnosticism.
Charles H Spurgeon said;
One walking with me, observed, with some emphasis, “I do not believe as you do. I am an agnostic.” “Oh,” I said to him, “that is a Greek word, is it not? The Latin word, I think, is ‘ignoramus’ “. He did not like that at all. Yet I only translated his language from Greek to Latin. These are queer waters to get into, when all your philosophy brings you is the confession that you know nothing, and the stupidity which enables you to glory in your ignorance.
FAITH PLEASES GOD; Hebrews 11;6 ‘without faith it is impossible to please God’
1. The faith of God is greater than the faith of man.
2. God has more faith in you than you have faith in God.
DEFINITION of FAITH
Hebrews 11:1 Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
1. Faith is the connecting power into the spiritual realm.
2. Faith is the ingredient to begin a relationship with God.
3. Faith is the evidence of those things that are not yet visible.
4. Faith is the reality.
5. God is Alpha and Omega – when God speaks in the future tense – the act has already happened. (I will bless you, by faith has already happened)
ETYMOLOGY (word study)
Hebrew: the verb is AMAN (aw-man) – to believe, to support, to use someone as a prop, a crutch; to use someone else to be supported, The root meaning is a foundation on which you build something.
Greek; the verb is PISTUEO – the root word from which we get ‘faith, the noun is PISTIS, and ‘believe’,
THERE ARE 4 KINDS OF FAITH.
1. HUMAN FAITH – head faith. Human faith that is inherent within every human being, and there is a supernatural faith of God that only comes to those who receive the good news. Human faith can only believe what it can see, taste, hear, smell, or feel; it’s limited to the five senses. Using natural human faith, we can sit in a chair we’ve never sat in and believe it will hold us up. We fly in airplanes when we don’t fully understand how they work, and we don’t know the pilot, but we trust that everything will be okay. That takes human faith, which God gave to every person. You can’t believe in invisible things with human faith.
2. FAITH FOR SALVATION – Heart faith. – Eph. 2:8, Paul says, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and Rom. 12:3 says, “God has given to every man equal measure of faith”
3. GIFT OF FAITH – faith to trust God for above and beyond.
4. GOD’S FAITH – Faith of God in Himself to do what He said He will do.
Have the Faith of God is 5 times in scripture.
1. Rom. 10;17
2. Gal. 2;9. ‘I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God’
3. Phil 3; 20 – ‘but that which is through faith in Christ
4. Mark 11;22 ‘Have the faith of God’
5. Hebrews 6;19. hope we have as an anchor of the soul.
IMPORTANCE OF FAITH
It is impossible to be saved without faith. Heb. 11: 6
Everything in salvation is based on faith.
We have to believe in that which we cannot see.
Faith carries you in the natural realm.
Abraham – father of faith – we come under the Abraham covenant. Rom. 4: 3,9
1. Abraham heard the Word. Rom. 4:13
2. Abraham turned – repentance. Rom. 4:18,19
3. Abraham embraced the hope. Rom. 4:18
4. Abraham did not waver in walk. Rom 4:20
5. Abraham rejoiced in the completed work. Rom. 4:20
WORK OF FAITH
1. Obtain precious faith through righteousness of God. 2 Pet. 1: 1
2. God is the author and finisher of our faith. Heb. 12: 2
3. Faith is the substance through which we receive from God. Heb.11;1
4. Saved through Faith, not of yourselves. Eph. 2: 8-9
5. Believe and respond to His Word, this produce in us faith. Gal. 5;22
6. Abide in Him, and I in you. John 15: 4-5
ACT IN FAITH
Prov.3;5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding
1. Lays hold of God’s resources, becomes obedient to what He has prescribed and putting aside all self interest and self-reliance, trusts Him completely.
2. Total complete unqualified surrender of being in dependence upon Him.
3. Total complete trusting reliance upon Him for all things.
4. Faith in action comes from a deep inner conviction.
4 FOUNDATIONS FOR BIBLICAL FAITH.
1. Promises of God. 2 Cor. 1:20
2. Integrity of The Word. Num. 23:19
3. Guarantee of God’ promise. Rom.4:20-21
4. Confidence in The Promise. Josh. 1;9
3 HINDRANCES TO FAITH
1. Absence of the Word– Matt.13:
Sower and 4 types of soil.
1. Good soil – receiving heart.
2. Hard soil – hard heart.
3. Stony soil – no depth of spiritual life.
4. Thorny soil – cares of this life.
2. Wrong Motivation – Matt. 6;33 Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness,
James 4: 3-4 You ask and you do not receive because …
3. Wrong Source of Knowledge – Confusing human faith and the 5 senses: (seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling and touching) with salvation faith, gift of faith and God faith.
RESULT OF FAITH
God will complete the good work He began in you.
2 Tim. 1;12 I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.